Freelance Academic Editor
Remote - Freelance
Scribendi is searching for freelance academic editors with expertise in one or more academic subjects. We provide our editors with a streamlined process that allows them to focus on what they do best: editing.
As one of our talented freelance editors, you can work from home while editing, proofreading, and/or formatting orders completely on your own schedule. Our transparent, per-order pricing shows you how much a task is worth before you accept it.
You can interact with both in-house staff and other freelancers through our online forums, and you'll also receive incentives, such as gift cards, that can be redeemed through online retailers. You won't have any of the hassles of bidding or pitching to clients, and you will be paid promptly.
- Accept editing, proofreading, and/or formatting orders in your field of expertise
- Edit, proofread, and/or format a variety of documents in accordance with Merudio's guidelines and any specific requirements provided by the client
- Complete and return orders before their deadlines
- Participate in regular quality assurance checks
To be considered a subject-matter expert, applicants must possess significant educational, professional, and/or editorial expertise. See below for more detail.
- Educational expertise requires at least a minor degree in a field. A full degree, whether undergraduate or graduate, that crosses disciplines can provide validation for multiple categories.
- Professional expertise requires having worked in a particular field for at least one year.
- Editorial expertise requires having worked as an editor in a specific field for at least one year. The editor's experience must be significant and sustained.
In addition, applicants must possess the following:
- Native-level English ability with excellent reading comprehension skills
- An average editing/proofreading speed of 1,000–1,500 words per hour
- The ability to work independently and always meet deadlines
- Microsoft Word 2010 or later
- A secure internet connection that meets the following requirements:
- A private network (i.e., no public Wi-Fi networks can be used)
- Password protection
- WP2/WP3 encryption
- Antivirus/antispyware that is updated regularly
- A firewall (e.g., Windows Defender is enabled)
- Broadband/high-speed internet access
- The ability to accept payments in US dollars
Preference will be given to applicants who possess the following:
- A graduate degree in a relevant field
- Experience in academic publishing
- Access to additional word processing/document production software (e.g., Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe PageMaker, LaTeX, and Microsoft Publisher)
- In-depth knowledge of one or more style guides (e.g., the Chicago Manual of Style, Turabian, and APA)
Applicants must not reside in the US jurisdictions of California; Colorado; Hawaii; Illinois; Indiana; Kentucky; Massachusetts; New Hampshire; New Jersey; New Mexico; New York; North Carolina; South Dakota; Washington, D.C.; West Virginia; or Wyoming.
Please note that all freelance editors are independent contractors for Scribendi. You should be aware that certain geographies have specific requirements, such as having your own business or tax forms, for one to be considered an independent contractor. We recommend checking into this matter for your place of residence before starting the application.
How to Apply
Click "apply" below to begin the application process. Please note that applications for this freelance position are not accepted by email. In addition, please do not call or email for more information or to discuss an application. Please note that only those selected for evaluation will be contacted.